The ten key strategies good parents of teenagers need to remind themselves:
- Know that raising a teen can be a challenging job.
- Teen behavior is an attempt to communicate. The magic is when you translate that behavior into words to help them be safe.
- Know that sometimes being angry with your teenager is normal.
- It’s normal for your teen to want to spend time with friends rather than family. It doesn’t mean she/he doesn’t love you, it is his/her job to become more independent. Congratulate yourself for letting go and not being afraid you have lost your precious child.
- If your teenager is rebelling, it may mean you are on the right track.
- Doing it alone can be tough. Talking about it with someone you trust and respect can help.
- Know at any given moment, we all do the best that we can.
- If it feels like you are on a roller coaster with your teens, understand that their unpredictable waves of hormones may lead to unpredictable mood swings. It’s not always you!
- On an inevitable day, when you think you are going to lose it, hold an ice cube in each hand to give yourself a moment to “chill”.
- Hang in there! This too shall pass. One day, they will be adults and actually hug you back!
For more information please call Suzan Aldimassi today for additional information and/or complementary consultation